This has been my favourite cake ever since my mom discovered the recipe when I was about 14 (and I have had my fair share of delicious cakes). It’s very chocolatey, yet the blueberries balance it out perfectly. Because of its deliciously gooey consistency it’s more of a tarte than a cake, but it is fairly easy to make. I can only recommend trying it at least once! You will not be disappointed.
If you are allergic to gluten, this recipe is very easily adjustable to that since it uses next to no flour, so the consistency and taste will not be affected.
As always, you can find a printable PDF version of this recipe (as well as a German version) at the bottom of this post.
Here’s what you need:
– 200 g dark chocolate (50% cocoa)
– 120 g butter or margarine
– 200 g icing sugar
– 5 eggs
– 150 g ground almonds
– 2 tbsp of flour (as always real table spoons, not American ones) (use starch instead if you are allergic to gluten)
– 300g blue berries
– 1 tbsp sugar
Here’s what you do:
– preheat the oven to 190°C (160°C for air circulation)
– seperate the eggs into two different bowls
– melt the chocolate in a bath of hot water
– beat the egg yolks, icing sugar and butter until fluffly
– add almonds, flour and chocolate and beat until smooth (well, as smooth at it gets, considering the almonds)
– beat the egg white until stiff and gently fold into the mix. Don’t be rough with this step, as you will pop all the airbubbles you just painstakingly beat into the eggwhite.
– pour the batter into a buttered 24cm – 26cm diameter cake tin (I like to put baking paper on the bottom so I don’t have to butter it)
– sprinkle about 2/3 of the blueberries on top of it so they can sink in
– put into oven and bake for about 60 mins
– sprinkle the rest of the blueberries and the sugar on top of it and bake for another 10-20 mins (the cake is supposed to still be a bit gooey, so the old stick-a-wooden-pick-into-it trick doesn’t really work that well)
(there are supposed to be more berries, but somebody was being naughty while I wasn’t looking)
– serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or on its own
Get this recipe’s printable pdf version here: Chocolate Blueberry Tarte
Deutsche Version des Rezepts als pdf Datei hier: Schokoladenblaubeerkuchen