Some yummy, sweet and very lemony cupcakes. Ideal for birthdays, parties or just for fun.
Here’s what you need:
– 110g soft butter (take it out oft he fridge about 30mins early)
– ¼ teaspoon Vanilla (and I mean real teaspoons, not American ones) – I like to use real vanilla, so I scrape the pulp out of an actual bean. If what you extract from the bean is not actually a full ¼ tsp don’t worry, it will be enough still
– 150g sugar
– Grated peel of 2 organic lemons
– 2 eggs
– 90ml milk
– 1 table spoon of sour cream (again, a real one)
– 2 table spoons of squeezed lemon juice – you can add more if you like your cupcakes to be a little more on the sour side than the sweet side
– 275g flour
– 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
– A little bit of salt
Here’s what you do:
– Preheat the oven to 180°C
– Beat the butter, vanilla, sugar and lemon peel until it’s nice and soft
This is roughly what your dough should look like. Sorry for the crappy lighting.
– Add the eggs separately and beat them into the dough – that way you automatically beat it longer, getting more air into the dough and eventually making it fluffier. At this point my dough looked pretty disgusting, so I didn’t take any pictures, but no worries!
– Add the milk, sour cream and lemon juice and beat thoroughly (dough still looking disgusting)
– Add the flour, salt and baking powder and beat the dough again (don’t hesitate to beat it that extra minute) – et viola! Dough not looking disgusting anymore
– Get your partner to sneak a bit of the dough (this step is not obligatory)
– Put the dough into your cupcake forms and eat the rest (again, not obligatory 😉 you can also make a second bunch. I ended up with way too much icing – partly because I don’t put as much on my cupcakes as others, but also because I could have probably made at least 4 more cupcakes out of the dough)
I like to use a table spoon and a teaspoon to put doughs of this consistency into the forms, I find that this makes the smallest mess possible.
– Put the cupcakes into the oven for about 8-10 minutes
– Check with a wooden stick (those long toothpick thingies) if the consistency is right – no dough should be sticking to the stick!
– Let the cupcakes cool
Here’s what you need for the frosting:
– 55g of soft butter
– 300g powdered sugar
– Grated peel of 2 lemons
– 3 tablespoons of squeezed lemon juice
Here’s what you do:
– beat everything except the decoration together – roughly about 5 minutes, so it gets nice and fluffy
– put it on the cup cakes – you can use an icing bag, but I just used a knife and slapped it on, because it’s easier and faster, and I find that it has some kind of home-made feel about it.
– Put on decoration if you want to. I put on some very girlish eatable pearls, in hopes of my boyfriend finding them not manly enough to eat, so he would leave them for me. But since a cupcake with pink pearls was the first he went for, I gave up and accepted my fate 😉
Get this recipe’s printable pdf version here: Lemon Cupcakes
Deutsche Version des Rezepts als pdf Datei hier: Zitronen Cupcakes
This recipe was adapted from http://fraeuleincupcake.wordpress.com